Even after the sun goes down, who wouldn’t want to take a dip in the pool and relax in the fresh air, or appreciate swimming or entertaining with the kids in the backyard? These activities seem to be thrilling, but when you contemplate the chilly water against your skin, the pool may not seem so inviting.
While there are heating solutions to increase the temperature of your pool, conventional heaters are very costly to operate, increasing your monthly gas or energy costs and making it totally unaffordable. There is, however, the option of utilizing solar-powered pool heaters, which are not only inexpensive and simple to use, but also extremely long-lasting!
These charge throughout the day and offer a warm pool for you at night, using energy from the sun. The solution to your late-night swims may finally be here, and at a reasonable price!
List of 11 Best Solar Pool Heaters
1. Sun2Solar Ground Mounted Heating Solar Panel System for Above Ground & Inground Swimming Pools
- MADE PERFECT FOR YOU – Our system is suitable for both above-ground and in-ground pools. Each kit consists of one – 2′ x 20′ panel. The panel is constructed of black polyolefin, which is lightweight, flexible, and long-lasting. The tube design of the panel provides a greater surface area, which improves heat transmission from the sunlight to your pool.
- WARMER POOL – Build solar pool heater panels with enough sunshine and warmth, the pool water temperature will increase. For optimum performance a sun cover is suggested. When heated, swimming pool water is circulated over the solar panels and returned to your pool by your pool pump and filtration system. If necessary, more panels may be added.
- USE A LOW HORSEPOWER PUMP FOR THE GROUND TO AVOID BLOWING OUT THE LINES. To ensure that the panels are most efficient on the ground, position them at 45 degrees to the sun for optimum heat gathering. Only a few straps or clips (supplied) are required to attach them to a solar panel rack or the ground. The integrated by-pass valve allows you to adjust the flow rate and move water around the solar panels.
- ECO-FRIENDLY – These pool solar heating panels are inexpensive, emit no greenhouse gases, and need little to no care. Solar water heater panels keep collecting heat from your roof after the sun has passed through the heaters, heating your pool for extended periods of time.
2. GAME 4721-BB SolarPRO Curve Solar Pool Heater
- SOLAR POOL HEATER: The GAME SolarPRO Curve Solar Pool Heater is intended for use in above-ground and perhaps most pools. It raises the temperature of the pool by 5 degrees in 4 days (for an 8,000-gallon pool).
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: We built this above-ground solar pool heater with high-quality components that will withstand repeated sun exposure and outside elements.
- GAME SOLAR POOL HEATER HAS A DISTINCTIVE CURVED DESIGN: The GAME solar pool heater features a special curved shape that optimizes heat gathering. To provide a variety of plumbing options, treaded ports have already been added.
- ADJUSTABLE LEGS: This solar heater is suitable for Intex, Bestways, and the majority of above-ground and in-ground pools. The heater’s movable and folding legs, as well as a transparent cover that seals in heat, enable it to be positioned for optimum exposure to the sun.
- THE PERFECT GRADUAL HEATER: This solar pool warmer is not meant to be a cure-all heater. Its purpose is to extend the season of your pool by gradually increasing the water temperature by a few degrees. Maximum heat output in a small footprint
3. SunHeater Pool Heating System Two 2’ x 20’ Panels
- SOLAR POOL HEATER – The SunHeater Solar Pool Heating System captures free heat via the sun ‘s light to efficiently increase the temperature of your pool water. It is a budget and efficient way to warm your pool.
- EXTENDS POOL SEASON – The water in your pool is pushed by the pump through the panel’s numerous tubes, where it is heated by the sun and then back to the pool. This system can increase the water temperature by 6-10 degrees Fahrenheit, allowing you to prolong your pool season by weeks!
- EASY TO INSTALL – This pool solar heater connects to your current filtration system and comes with four end caps, two elbows for flex hose connections, six stainless steel hose clamps, one roll of Teflon tape, and rubber connector hoses.
- TUBE ON WEB DESIGN – The SunHeater’s tube-web-tube design enables it to catch as much sun as possible while optimizing square footage. It provides stiff flexibility, enabling panels to expand and contract in response to changing temperatures, providing it the strength required to endure.
- DIMENSIONS – The SunHeater Solar Pool Heater comes with two 2′ x 20′ polypropylene panels. It is a universal system that is suitable for pools up to 31′ round or 18′ x 36′ in size.
4. XtremepowerUS Inground/Above Ground Swimming Pool Solar Panel Heating System
- XtremepowerUS Panels are made of very high-quality materials that have been proved to withstand all kinds of weather.
- While pool water is heated, the pump and filtration system recirculate it through the SOLAR PANELS before returning it to the pool. Once placed, solar panels are inexpensive, emit no greenhouse emissions, and require little to no maintenance. With the assistance of the sun, you may prolong your swimming season this year at a cheap cost!
- The system is intended for use with either above-ground or in-ground pools. Each package consists of two 2′ x 20’ft panels. Each panel is constructed of lightweight, flexible, and long-lasting black polypropylene. The panel tube design provides a greater surface area, that improves heat transmission from the sun to your pool.
- The number of solar panels required is determined on the size of the pool and its location, which some websites can estimate.
5. Flagman Shop Solar Mat Above Ground Swimming Pool Water Heater
- The next item we will offer to you is this simple solar mat from the Flagman Shop. This solar heater, which is ideal for above-ground pools, is an environmental choice that will appeal to anybody looking to minimize their carbon footprint.
- What we loved best about this solar mat was how simple it was to put up and use. Simply connect the supplied hose to your filtration system and connect the pump’s return hose to the other end of the mat. Heaters using solar panels, on the other hand, have a considerably more complex functioning mechanism and need more time to establish.
- Furthermore, the solar mat is appropriate for any above-ground pool with a size of up to 8,000 gallons. And, depending on the weather, you may effectively raise the pool water temperature by 5 to 9°F on any given day.
- You may also connect this product to filter pumps with up to 12 HP of power or a pump flow rate of 2,500 GPH. As a result, it will be compatible with the vast majority of filter pumps used in domestic swimming pools. Finally, the solar pad comes with all of the necessary attachments, allowing you to begin installing the device as soon as it arrives.
6. FlowXtreme NS1002 Flat-Panel Pool Solar Heater
- This FlowXtreme Solar pool heater has a new and enhanced structure that provides higher heating efficiency than most items on the market. It works with a variety of swimming pool filters and comes with a one-year warranty.
- We’ll start with the product’s excellent design, since it’s the most noticeable feature and greatly improves its effectiveness. It is made out of a flat screen with tiny solar coils that heat up the water as it passes past them.
- It is worth noting that the coils improve the panel’s heating capacity by 40% in each cycle. As a result, you will have delightfully warm water in your pool much faster. This increased heating capacity also helps to keep the heat in for a longer period of time, able to enjoy a longer swimming period.
- Furthermore, this pool heater has foldable legs built in, making it easier, simpler to configure, and more transportable. And that isn’t all. You’ll be relieved to know that this heater can heat above-ground pools of any size with almost the same performance.
7. Solar Sun Rings Solar Pool Heater
- The Solar Sun Rings should be your first option if you’re searching for a passive swimming pool heating equipment. The gadget is built as a floating pool warmer and is built to a high standard of quality, with a variety of pack sizes to select from based on the size of your pool.
- Its curved solar design will cover the whole surface of the water, providing an effective water heating system that may be utilized over any kind of above ground pool.
- The solar heating system, which is made of two layers of UV resistant vinyl, will heat the pool without the use of any additional equipment. It also will serve you well over time, even if the colors lighten after a few seasons of sun exposure, without affecting its ability to keep the heat controlled.
- Once installed, it is a very robust and long-lasting choice that will operate anytime the sun shines. It will raise the temperature of your pool and enable you to enjoy the sunny days with little effort.
8. Smart Pool S601 Pool Solar Heaters
- The Smartpool S601P SunHeater System would be an ideal option for big swimming pool owners. Offered in a variety of pack sizes, you may pick an option based on your needs, the size of your pool, and the quantity of water in it. By catching the sunrays on its black surface, this best pool heating system will raise the temperature in a matter of hours.
- The heater is ideal for both kinds of pools and may be placed on a variety of surfaces, such as the fence, roof, racks, and even near-ground pools. Since this company’s unique design, you will no longer wait for the water to heat up because these pool heaters will offer the finest heating option for your swimming pool water.
- An installation kit is needed, which is supplied separately, but once assembled, you will be able to increase the temperature by up to ten degrees. And, since it is simple to install following the instructions given, utilizing this solar panel will be simple and effective. Because this solar heating system is built for great efficiency, you will no longer have to be concerned about the heating within your swimming pool.
9. SolarPoolSupply Highest Performing Design – DIY Solar Pool Heater System Kit
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Made from high quality content that has been proved to resist all kinds of weather and the severe conditions of a rooftop for up to 15-20 years. Throughout the production process, each panel is subjected to more than 40 quality control checks to guarantee the final product.
- STRUCTURED TO LAST: Made from precompounded polypropylene, this material is considerably more resistant to UV radiation and has a longer service life. This manufacturing method removes the inherent quality problems that afflict low-cost goods, which usually have a lifetime of just 1-2 years (more in the description).
- DESIGN WITH THE BEST PERFORMANCE: The tube-and-web construction allows for natural warming and cooling as the panel warms and cools, prolonging service life. A straight, metered manifold ensures a balanced flow into the collector while preventing hotspots. For optimum performance and drainage, these panels must be placed vertically.
- GUARANTEED ASSURANCE: Each panel is assured to be free of manufacturing faults, to resist the effects of cold weather, and to not fail due to corrosion or scale deposits in its water route walls (5-year full / 10-year limited).
- PERFORM IT YOURSELF: All you need to mount the solar panels to a roof or rack, protect them with hold down strapping, connect to and from each solar panel, total water connections to the system’s supply and return plumbing lines, and the components needed to allow gravity drainage of the panels and piping are included.
10. Goplus Solar Dome Swimming Pool Heater Above Ground
- The Goplus Solar Dome Solar Pool Heater is ideal for people seeking for a fast, simple, and environmentally responsible method to heat their pool. This solar pool heater is intended especially for tiny above-ground pools and needs no extra power.
- Even though it is not the most efficient choice on the marketplace, the Goplus heater’s low price and ease of use make it ideal for pool owners with restricted space or money.
This solar pool heater is not limited to roof installation due to its small and portable design and can be modified as required. As a result, it is ideal for tiny yards or semi-permanent inflatable pools.
- The Goplus Solar Dome Swimming Pool Heater is a storage saver measuring just 22.5” x 22.5” x 8.5” and weighs only 11 pounds. Another advantage is the sleek small look, which heats your pool without being obtrusive.
- Everyone enjoys a good bargain. This solar pool heater’s cheap price coupled with its outstanding service is a bargain you won’t want to pass up.
With a little cost, you can raise the temperature of your pool and prolong the swimming season. This item is all you want to heat the pool while it is in use for holiday homes and pools that are used rarely.
- A protective dome cover ensures that your solar pool heater remains operational even during the off season. Even with the cover on, this item remains lightweight and small, making it ideal for storage inside or outdoors.
- With this in mind, the adequate protection, cheap cost, and simplicity of use make this solar pool warmer an excellent buy.
11. Intex Solar Heater Mat for Above Ground Swimming Pool
- The Intex Solar Heater Mat is ideal for above-ground pools and those who want to add a little extra warmth to their swimming. This low-cost solar pool heater is simple to operate and can be placed in virtually any location.
- This strong solar warmer is suitable for pools with a size of up to 8,000 gallons, and more mats may be added if required. The quick and straightforward connection method is compatible with most 13 hp pumps or pumps with flow rates of less than 2000 gallons per hour.
- Best Budget Choice – The Intex Solar Heater Mat is the most affordable option on our list of the 8 Best Solar Pool Heaters. However, this does not imply that it is of poor quality. This low-cost solar pool warmer raises water temperatures by 5 to 9 degrees Fahrenheit. If you’re searching for a simple method to heat your above-ground pool, this could be the ideal answer.
- The solar pool warmer is portable and lightweight, as well as the lightest on our list, weighing slightly more than 5lbs.It may be folded and conveniently stowed when not in use. When there is no water flowing, the Intex Solar heater measures 47.25″ x 47.25″.
- These features of Intex’s one-of-a-kind design make it ideal for winter transit and storage. In fact, it’s so simple that you may be tempted to put it out as soon as spring arrives.
- Simply put, you don’t have to worry about mounting this solar pool heater on the roof or on a rack. Simply unroll the mat and place the solar pool warmer in a sunny area.
- It will not only conserve your time, but it will also prevent you from having to drill holes in your roof to install other kinds of systems.
- With quick-connect hose connection points, you’ll be able to have your water flowing via the heater and back into the pool where it’s required in no time.
How To Choose The Best Solar Pool Heater
There are many things to consider before buying a solar-powered heater so that you can get the finest solar pool heater for your requirements.
Because heaters are designed for particular pool sizes, the most essential thing to consider when buying your pool heater is the size of your pool. Some heaters are better suited to big pools, while others are better suited to small pools.
Type of Pool
Although no two pools are alike, there are many distinct kinds of solar-powered pool heaters. If you possess an inground pool, for example, you must make sure the solar pool heater you purchase is intended for that kind of pool, or at the very least for several pool types, such as your inground pool. If you’re purchasing a multifunctional solar pool heater, be sure the installation package contains the necessary instructions and components for your pool.
Solar pool heaters are designed to conserve you money on energy or gas costs, but they don’t have to be expensive. Stick to your budget and avoid overspending on solar pool heaters with unnecessary additional components or features. Also, bear in mind that hiring an expert to build your heater may cost extra. If you’re on a tight budget, look for pool warmers that you can install yourself, such as those in our list of the best solar pool heaters.
Pay close attention to your new heater’s power rating. The power rating dictates the kind of pump and pool size that it can handle.
Easy To Setup
If you’re going to do it yourself, be certain your solar pool heater is simple to set up. Many of the heaters on our top solar pool heaters list may be installed without any technical knowledge. Purchasing a heater with a simple user manual will save you a lot of time and work.
Pool Temperature Preferences
Not all solar pool heaters provide the same level of warmth. Some are much more productive than others, making them more suited to certain climates. You don’t need a highly strong solar heating system if you reside in an area where your pool just requires a little warmth. If you live in a colder area, however, you should invest in a solar heating system that can quickly increase your water temperature by at least 10°F.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Many BTU Pool Heater Will You Need?
Now let’s check at how big of a pool heater you’ll need for a particular location. As I previously said, you can’t truly forecast solar energy without costly meteorological gear that can provide you solar output over time and create patterns that you can translate into thermal units.
If you’re planning to utilize a surface sheet heating system, make sure you have the same quantity of material as the water’s surface area. If you have an above-ground pool, you may wish to use this material to line the pool’s sides as well.
Examine the quantity of water that tends to flow through exchange heaters in a given period of time. You want it to pump at least a third of the water in your pool through it each day, if not more.
Indeed, the water will be a little warmer than you would like the pool to be, but the dilution and exchange with the colder water will result in a pool that is more evenly heated.
2. Is It Necessary To Maintain Solar Pool Heater?
Barely. The majority of solar pool heaters are designed to last at least 5 years with little maintenance or repairs. Most of those heaters on our list come with 10-year warranties that bear the expenses of repairs or replacements if they are damaged. You should have no issues as long as your setup is completed correctly.
3. What Is The Lifespan Of A Solar Pool Heater?
Solar pool heaters that are well-made may last up to 20 years. However, how effectively it is installed determines how long it will serve you, so hiring a professional to build your solar pool heater is a good option if you aren’t skilled.
4. What If I Have A Heat Pump Or Gas Pump?
It doesn’t imply you can’t have a solar heating system if you’ve a heat pump or gas pump. Any of these setups would benefit greatly from the addition of a solar-powered heater. The solar system may be used as a backup or primary source of heat, reducing your reliance on more costly energy sources.
5. Is It Possible To Put A Solar Pool Heater On The Roof?
Solar pool heaters can be mounted on the roof, yes. Solar pool heaters may be placed anyplace that gets enough sunshine and is close enough to the pool. Roofs of houses, garages, and sheds are popular installation locations.
6. Can A Solar Pool Heater Work At Night?
The easiest approach to get the most out of your solar pool heater is to place it in direct sunlight. Warm days with a light to medium overcast are also acceptable. Operating a solar heater at night or on cloudy, rainy days will not enable the device to heat the water enough. In certain instances, it may even lower the pool’s temperature.
7. Is It Possible To Use A Solar Pool Heater In The Winter?
It relies on where you live whether or not you can use a solar pool warmer in the winter. A solar pool heater can work during the winter in areas with year-round sun and warmth.
In colder regions, these solar pool warmers may prolong the swimming season by a few weeks, but they should not be used in the winter. If a solar pool heater is operated outside of its specified working ambient temperature, it may be damaged by freezing temperatures.
If you’re thinking of installing a solar pool heater for your pool, you should do your homework beforehand. Many individuals are unaware of how they operate or what is required to properly install one, so we hope that our purchasing guide has been useful.
Solar heating may help you save money on your gas or electric bills, but you must get your setup properly to get the advantages.